We get asked a lot of questions – here’s some answers! Just click on the + sign to get the info you need.

“Can we get married at St. Enoder?”

The beautiful church and the excellent music makes St.Enoder’s a popular church for weddings. In accordance with Church of England practice anyone who lives in the parish or who is on the electoral roll (the qualification for this is a minimum of six months as a regular worshipper at the church) can get married here.

When you book your wedding we will give you as much help as possible and try to answer all the questions you have, as well as making suggestions for readings, hymns and flowers.

The Church of England website has a great overview of how we handle this special day and answers a lot of questions you may have.

If you would like to know more about booking a wedding, please contact one of the Churchwardens and we’ll take it from there.

“How do we go about arranging a Christening at St. Enoder?”

Everyone is welcome to have a their baby or child baptized at a Christening in their parish church and with around 10,000 babies and infants being Christened each month in the Church of England, it remains a popular decision for parents.

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about getting your baby or child Christened.

 What is the difference between a Baptism and a Christening?
There is no difference between a Christening service and a Baptism service. Some churches will use the word ‘baptism’ and some the word ‘christening’. Babies are Baptized during a christening service just as couples are ‘married’ during a ‘wedding’ service.

2. Can anyone have a Christening service?
Yes, so long as they have not been Baptized already. The Church of England welcomes all babies, children and families for Christenings – whatever shape that family takes. You do not have to be married to ask for a Christening for your child.  You do not have to have been a regular churchgoer – as parents, you do not even have to have been Christened yourselves. Everyone is welcome at their local church. Just ask your local vicar if this is something you are considering for your baby.

3. What about godparents?
Godparents are some of the most important people at the Christening.

Godparents are not the people who will care for your child should anything happen to you. Arrangements for this would normally be made by a Will. Rather, they should be people who will be there for your child and help them think about the bigger questions in life – questions of love, hope and faith.

Every child should have at least three godparents, two of the same sex and at least one of the opposite sex. Parents may be godparents for their own children, providing they have at least one other godparent.

Godparents must be baptized themselves and old enough to make some serious promises on behalf of the child.

4. How much does a Christening service cost?
The good news is that a Christening service is free. There may be costs for your family party afterwards, for gifts, or for christening robes, but the church service is free. [Occasionally parents need a certified copy of the entry in the register. In 2014 this will cost £12]

5. Where can we hold the Christening?
You can have your baby Christened at your local parish church and it is usually held as part of the main Sunday service. If you want to have the christening at a different church, for example, where you grew up or where you were married, you will need to talk to the vicar at that church.

6. Can we arrange a Christening at a separate time to the Sunday service?
There may be opportunities to have a service at a different time, again usually on a Sunday, but talk to the vicar and ask their advice about what is possible at your church.

7. How do I arrange a Christening?
Simply contact the vicar of the church where you want to have the Christening and ask for advice.

“One / both of us have been married before – can we still get married at St. Enoder?”

There are special guidelines on marriage in the church if you are divorced. There may well be a way forward, but you will need to talk your Vicar about your situation to explore the possibilities for you.

Your church wishes you a lifetime of love that grows within God’s protection. But we recognise that some marriages do fail for all sorts of sad and painful reasons.

So in certain circumstances the Church of England accepts that a divorced person may marry again and this has been the case since 2002.

There may be a way forward for you to remarry in a church, but you should talk to your Vicar about this. Every Vicar will want to help you, though there are some who don’t feel able to offer a wedding to couples where one or both of the partners has been divorced. In any case your Vicar will want to talk frankly about your past and hopes for the future and will then be able to advise you.

Even if it is not possible to do your wedding, they may offer a service of prayer and dedication after a civil wedding. There are more resources about this on the Church of England web site.

Read about Andy and Katie’s wedding. Andy had been married before, but the couple were married in church.

It was second time around for another couple, Andy and Emma, who decided to have a service of Thanksgiving for Marriage after their civil wedding. Read more.

“Funeral Services at St. Enoder”

A funeral is used to mark the end of a person’s life here on earth. Family and friends come together to express grief, give thanks for the life lived and commend the person into God’s keeping. These can be a small, quiet ceremony or a large occasion in a packed church.

Everyone is entitled to either a burial service (funeral) or to have their ashes buried in their local parish churchyard by their local parish priest regardless of whether they attended church or not. Speak to your local vicar for more information, or, if you do not know who your local vicar is please use the search box on the right to find your local Church of England church.

If the churchyard has been closed, then the Local Authority will provide alternative places of burial and the minister can carry out the service there instead of the church or crematorium.

This section includes information on planning a funeral and the funeral service. Plus a selection of comforting psalms and prayers.